Visited by millions each year, Turkey’s historical attractions and natural beauty never stop mesmerizing foreigners, like the locals. Alongside these aesthetic beauties, its cultural values and geographical advantages are also among the great things Turkey has to offer, such as the Turkish passport ranking at 39th position with its visa-free and visa-on-arrival travel options to 111 countries.
Turkey has also been witnessing a growth in infrastructure projects that provide support for the real estate market in Turkey and has gained a unique position regionally and internationally.
Turkish Citizenship: Why So Popular?
Acquiring a Turkish passport for a better life has become quite popular compared to other nationalities. The development of Turkey's infrastructure attracts many real estate investors, and the support provided by the growing industry helps the growth of trade and agriculture in the country.
Turkey also has plans to make public and private sector institutions easily accessible through flexible policies and to promote technological transformation. The government plans to create resources to make the economy stronger and the country develop to ensure stability and sustainable development.
Turkey has had strategic importance for decades, combining different cultures and religions through the Bosphorus strait. It is an important trade route between East and West. Its seas and climate conditions are some of the many advantages of living in Turkey.
With its dense population, Istanbul is the star and the most developed city in the country. It has important religious qualities as well as significant historical importance. Both the Christians and Muslims visit the city for religious purposes continuously. Being a hotspot for both international trade and tourism, the city only gains more and more importance as time passes.
Turkey is a well-known country for production, and it welcomes people of all nationalities to work in the country and become Turkish citizens. Turkish citizenship has been a dream of many, and thanks to the latest regulations, it is now easier to get Turkish citizenship.
The foreigners can easily have a luxurious lifestyle, take advantage of advanced and free education opportunities, and benefit from health facilities and safe environments, besides getting confidentiality of assets by becoming a Turkish citizen.
With all these in mind, let's look into ways of acquiring Turkish Citizenship and the advantages it brings in detail.
Acquiring Turkish Citizenship: Application Process
The Turkish legislation has made it possible for foreigners to apply for and get a Turkish passport. Once the applicant's application is completed, the applicant's family members, including spouses and children under 18, become eligible for Turkish citizenship.
Turkish Citizenship can be acquired in various ways. Still, the most popular method for foreigners is to make a real estate investment of $400,000 under the condition of not selling the property for at least three years.
Things to Know About the Turkish Citizenship Application Process
- First, you need to enter the country with a valid visa.
- Upon arrival in Turkey, the applicant must sign a power of attorney, appointing a representative to manage the Turkish citizenship application process. Obtaining a tax number, opening a bank account, and purchasing the property are all required.
- The applicants then must open a Turkish bank account from which they should invest.
- Foreigners then must look for properties they would like to purchase; it is essential not to sell real estate for at least three years to get it through real estate investment.
- After the purchase, it is required to have the title deed.
- An official survey must be provided with a receipt of the bank transfer to the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization.
- Following the investment, a Turkish residency and citizenship application, along with supporting documentation, can be submitted. The Turkish residence permit is issued within 2-3 weeks by the Directorate General of Migration. After receiving the residence permit application, citizenship can be made.
After all the checks are completed, the application is sent to the presidential office for a final decision. After that, the application for a Turkish ID and passport is sent to the Civil Registry.
Ways to Get Turkish Citizenship
Many foreigners dream about becoming Turkish citizens. The Turkish government offers many alternatives for people who want to apply for Turkish citizenship.
Authorities have identified ways through which citizenship can be acquired:
- Staying in Turkey for five consecutive years with a work permit
- Investing at least $400.000 in Turkish real estate properties
- Applying after three years of marriage to a Turkish citizen
- Gaining citizenship by birth
- Gaining citizenship from a competent authority
- And finally, there are exceptional situations. These are granted in special cases that often involve holders of university degrees.
Turkish Citizenship by Investment
Foreigners can acquire Turkish Citizenship by investing $400,000 in real estate in Turkey if they do not resell it for at least three years. This option enables entrepreneurs investing in Turkey the convenience of also being Turkish citizens to enjoy its advantages without additional effort.
Turkish Citizenship Through Marriage
Foreigners married to a Turkish citizen can apply for Turkish Citizenship after three years of marriage following these conditions:
- Living together as a family,
- Avoiding any activity incompatible with being a family,
- Not threatening public health, security, or order
Citizenship Gained by Birth
Children of Turkish parents are eligible for Turkish Citizenship regardless of the country they are born in, under the following conditions:
- The child born to a Turkish father and a Turkish mother in wedlock
- The child born to a Turkish father and a foreign mother in wedlock
- The child born to a Turkish mother and a foreign father in wedlock
- The child born to a Turkish mother and a foreign father out of wedlock
- The child born to a Turkish father and a foreign mother out of wedlock
Thus, any person born to a Turkish parent can become a Turkish citizen if they wish to.
Citizenship Gained by a Competent Authority
Turkish laws allow the acquisition of a passport by the decision of the competent authority. There are five types of purchases:
- General Acquisition
- Exceptional Acquisition
- Acquisition by Marriage
- Gaining Citizenship through Marriage
Gaining Turkish Citizenship Through Exceptional Circumstances
The state allows foreigners to acquire Turkish Citizenship through exceptional circumstances such as extraordinary achievements in sports, arts, science, technology, and education.
Regaining Turkish Citizenship
Turkish law gives the right to people who have lost their citizenship to reacquire it if they are not a threat to public safety and order.
Advantages of Being a Turkish Citizen
Turkey is where the modern lifestyle meets the Islamic lifestyle, as Mustafa Kemal Ataturk declared it a secular state concerning different religions and cultures in 1923. The world is globalized, travel has become a norm, and with visa-free access to countries, more people are encouraged to travel for business, leisure, career, and lifestyle opportunities. Turkey is a country that foreigners admire for its lucrative investment offers in return for citizenship.
The advantages of being a Turkish citizen are dual citizenship and visa-free access to more than 100 countries. There is also no need to be present in Turkey to get Citizenship or to apply for it. Turkish passport ranks in the top 30, and its holders get Turkish Citizenship rights such as pension programs, free education, university reimbursement plans, and voting rights for all kinds of elections.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I get Turkish citizenship by buying a house?
You can acquire Turkish citizenship through special procedures if you purchase real estate worth $400,000 or more. Foreigners should buy real estate worth at least $400,000 for this purpose.
2. Can a student get Turkish citizenship?
If you have lived in Turkey for five years on a working or student visa, you are eligible to become a naturalized citizen.
3. What happens if I marry a Turkish citizen?
Marriage to a Turkish citizen does not automatically grant the foreigner citizenship. For at least three years, the foreigner must have been married to a Turkish citizen. Continuing marriage is also one of the requirements. Citizenship can only be obtained in this manner.
4. How long does it take to get a residence permit in Turkey?
The government migration office is available for foreigners in 81 provinces all across Turkey. However, appointment queues, process times, and ID card delivery varies between two and three months.
5. What are the benefits of having Turkish citizenship?
- Full medical assistance.
- There are pension plans available.
- Plans for free education and university reimbursement.
- The Turkish Passport enables visa-free travel to 111 countries.
6. Is it safe to buy property in Turkey?
Purchasing property in Turkey is very safe and simple if you do things correctly and work with a professional real estate company that knows what they're doing.